Development SIG Toolkit

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/28/2019 7:44 pm  #1

Running Projects with Visual Studio 20XX

After fiddling around and fixing some errors, I finally got the sample template to work and thought I might share the process.

So, assuming you've already cloned the repository to your machine and that you have some version of VS installed, you first go to the vs2017 folder and look for the sigfull.sln file. If you have a different version of Visual Studio (personally I have VS 2019) you'll just have to upgrade the toolset/SDK to whatever version is the latest, usually you just click accept and let it do its thing without any errors.
Next, you'll want to build the entire solution via Ctrl+Shift+B. It'll generate libraries depending on whatever machine you're on (windows32/64 versus linux 32/64), and you can find those in sig/lib. 

Okay, so now you'll want to go to the sig/examples, where all of the examples are including compressed files of the app template and the mynode template (You'll need 7zip for this). For now, focus on sigapp.7z; extract this folder to the same one that your sig folder is in (so, for example, if you cloned sig to C:\Users\your_name\Documents\sig, then you should extract sigapp.7z to the Documents folder so that its path would be C:\Users\your_name\Documents\sigapp). Make sure that the extracted folder isn't in another folder of the same name, like ..\Documents\sigapp\sigapp (by default, 7zip will do this, at least for me). As the instructions say, the template itself finds the necessary includes and libraries using relative paths, so any folders that encase the sigapp folder will cause linker errors when it tries to find the sig folder. Basically, make sure the path to the sigapp.sln looks like ..\Documents\sigapp\vs2017\sigapp.sln, assuming sig is in the Documents folder as well. 
By this point, you should be able to open the sigapp solution and run the template. However, if you run into linker errors, there are two main problems (among others) you may come across that I can suggest solutions to:
1) The first is the one aforementioned, where you need to make sure sigapp is in the right folder with sig, and that there are no other folders that encase the sigapp extraction so that it doesn't mess up with the linker trying to find the right files
2) As I said before, when you build sig, it generates libraries based on your OS and architecture. If the Project->Properties->Linker->Additional Library Directories is not pointing to the right place, then it can't find the correct libraries to link against. Open up sig\lib, find whichever folder is filled with the libraries, and just edit the Additional Library Directories parameter to the correct folder.
For example, if that section had some path like ..\sig\lib\msvs32\%(AdditionalLibraryDirectories), but your library generated files in msvs64, just replace msvs32 with msvs64, hit apply, and run the project. I know that as of right now, the sigmynode project initially has the Additional Library Directories pointing to msvs32 which is empty, so I had to go in and change that to msvs64.

So that should be it really. Hopefully you get it up and running, if there are any other issues other than the 2 listed, just ask and hopefully I/someone else can help you out with it.

-Toeknee

8/28/2019 8:35 pm  #2

Re: Running Projects with Visual Studio 20XX

Two additional notes:
- as you have pointed out sigapp.7z needs to be uncompressed and placed in the same folder of the SIG distribution, in order for the SIG libraries to be found, and BTW the same applies to sigmynode.7z;
- you also have to be sure to compile the SIG libraries and your application/example in the same configuration and platform. For example, if you compile SIG in Release version for 32 bits, be sure to compile your example program in the same way.

Last edited by Admin (8/28/2019 8:36 pm)

Board footera